rx100 the one to beat?

Started Feb 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
Digital Nigel Veteran Member • Posts: 6,668
Re: 25mm wide angle rx100

YiannisPP wrote:

AdamT wrote:

I hope you don`t mind me using your image Nigel but it`s better than the Photographyblog samples for showing PT-Lens's corrections and the black bits which will need cropping off and maybe of interest to Yiannis

Nigel's Image run through PT-Lens

Hi Adam, yes this is what I did of course and after applying the proper amount of correction and cropping up and down you get a 5472x3364 file as I explained to Nigel in my post above.

That's a 18.5MP, 1.63 aspect ratio, 25mm wide image. If you then proceed to crop the sides as well to make it 3/2, you have a 5046x3364 file which is 17MP.

Yes, that's an interesting analysis. Ironically, after DxO has finished bending, cropping and upscaling the image,  at 21.5 mp, it's too large to upload to the DPR gallery, as it breaks the 20mp limit.

One observation is that the weird stuff only really happens when the lens is at its widest; once you zoom in a bit, the amount of lens distortion rapidly reduces, and you're getting closer to a true 20mp image. So only when the lens is zoomed right out, it has an impressive f/1.8, and close-up macro capability, but distorts a lot. It's a very different lens at any other focal length.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow