D800 matrix metering vs. D600 matrix metering.

Started Feb 11, 2013 | Discussions thread
afterburn Senior Member • Posts: 1,011
Re: Now an example where the light is outside a focus point...way outside all the focus points.

The D800 has similar annoyances, at least for someone like me coming from a totally different camera system.

Using AF-S mode, single focus point, center, matrix metering. Shoot wide grassy landscape toward horizon with blue sky and white clouds. Result: under-exposed shot by almost 2 stops. Now I know this is by design (protecting the highlights in landscape shot), but it's still annoying when you aren't used to it and you are not expecting it.

Apparently using AF-C and dynamic area AF will make it more predictable, but I haven't tried that.

That said, the shots I had a problem with were with flat as a pancake landscape with the bottom half mostly mid tones and the sky mostly highlights. In other words, making it really difficult for the camera's matrix meter to decide what to do. I expect it to do better in most other situations, as soon as something more interesting would be in the shot the meter would nail it.

Still with my previous camera (5D), using evaluative metering, I had to decide if and how much I wanted to protect the highlights. It seems that with Canon I needed to meter more for the highlights to protect them, and with the Nikon I need to meter more for the mid tones to keep them up. Different way of working and part of the learning curve of a new system.

-- hide signature --

Gijs from The Netherlands
Nikon D800

afterburn's gear list:afterburn's gear list
Nikon D800 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Higuma
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow