RAW vs. JPEG

Started Feb 10, 2013 | Discussions thread
GreenMountainGirl Contributing Member • Posts: 684
Re: RAW vs. JPEG

Carey Brown wrote:

The two sticking points with RAW that I still see is the "side car" issue and the need for ALL RAW images to have some amount of post processing.

As a relative beginner, I use RAW but don't really understand all the principles and subtleties of it.  Why do you say that ALL RAW images need post-processing?  When I take a picture I really like as I see it on my computer screen, why would I have to alter it?  Of course, there is usually something I do to improve it, but I attribute that to flaws in my technique, settings I put on the camera, etc.

The other issue is that ALL RAW images look bad compared to their JPG equivalents unless some amount of post processing is applied.

I edit RAW images by creating a virtual copy, and use soft-proofing because somewhere I read that this will make the pictures appear the way they will as a JPEG.  But I don't know why.  And I print directly from the NEF file I created.  As far as I can tell, there is no problem!

I do understand that I ought to keep my RAW images because as I improve in my editing capabilities (and perhaps so do the software upgrades), I will probably want to go back to them some day and make changes to improve the final product.  I only convert to JPEG when I want to use the picture in an application, such as making note cards!

-- hide signature --

GreenMountainGirl

GreenMountainGirl's gear list:GreenMountainGirl's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG Macro HSM +3 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow