If People want a Pentax FF so bad.. Go buy a 645d ??

Started Feb 9, 2013 | Discussions thread
Dave Senior Member • Posts: 1,598
Re: Misconceptions

Hi Moving Comfort,

This response will be general rather than specific in nature due to some of what I explain below. I won't respond with a point by point rebuttal or commentary partly due to time constraints that I'm a few hours away from a major shoot in the morning. There is both agreement and disagreement with some of what you wrote....and we'll have to chalk it up to "agree to disagree" on those points which I don't agree with some of your assements such as whether the D800 requires more careful handling with regards to stability, chosen f-stops, lens choice etc. It all depends on so many factors, including both the kind of output utilizing the file and if to print, how large.

As I said, I know the argument about this concept being put forth that it's a falacy that the D800 requires extra special handling say to a D600 or even a D700, but in the pro arena, many would disagree, based on extensive use with the D800 (myself included) compared to many other systems and bodies employed, utilizing their years of experience with such equipment.

Any camera can be successfully used for any sort of photographic endeavor but that doesn't mean it's the most appropriate tool for the job. Heck, I've even shot spots with the 645D and some other types of capture, which really was putting the 645D out of its element. Yes, the D800 is more of a versitile camera than the 645D but I believe the D600 allows a wider variety of lenses to be employed successfully in terms of maximizing image quality under a wider range of camera settings and also affords a wider latitude in the way it's handled. s an aside, as similar as the D7000 is to the D600...there are some things that both feel and for a practical matter are different. I was asked to push the D7000 when it came out and I personally didn't favor the camera. The things I did think were up to the task, are in the D600, so as similar as they are, they are different. Again my opinion based on using them in the same type of enviorment.

There are some other advantages to using the D600 over the D800 and putting aside money, it is a better tool for a wider range of general use photographers than the D800 in my opinion. Notice I didn't say it's a better camera than the D800...just a better choice for those that intend to shoot almost anything that strikes their fancy and them some. With that said, there is no dount when handled right and lens choice is carefully selected, it may be the finest 35mm DSLR to date, for what it was most designed for. That last sentence is a key one, as cameras like the D3s, D4 etc., are designed and more appropriate for other forms of photographic endeavors.

One thing I have learned after being a member of DP review since 1999 and has taught me...is a there is always a lengthy back and forth to a disagreement which, never really ever gets resolved and eventually just consumes time and bandwith without accomplishing little or anything. Thats unfortunate and that is generally how it works on Dpreview but far less often on other more serious photo sites as well as in personal face to face discussions among serious users of this and similar equipment. In fact I've known some long time Dpreview posters who when making the move to some serious focums, don't last long with their unflexable arguments or their unwillingness to acccept the experience of others who just might know more in certain areas. Each has to make their own decision on what the presented facts mean for their style of photography and ultimate choice of equipment. Although I'm not adding this final line as a way of saying anything about differences we both stated, but I would never make a pronouncement on the operation or characteristics of a given piece of equipment, unless I had the chance to extensively use (and I underline that word extensively) and test it out in real world conditions over a protracked period of time.

I know you've been around a long time and so have I...with both of us using and testing out DSLR's for many years. Strictly considering only DSLR's I started with profession Hybrid Kodak/Nikon professional bodies long before the Nikon D1 and continued as such with every Pro level Nikon body up to the present (except for the D4, which I tested but at present I don't plan to purchase. Does it make me an expert, no...but it alows me to use and evaluate these cameras by pushing their performance in very demanding conditons and then outputting their files to substationally large, "large format" prints. That allows me to evaluate and know the shorcomings or strengths of how a camera and it's settings and asssociated lenses choices will have on the eventual files that are captured (and subsequently processed) and that is what I base my statements on.

An average shoot can have up to 1500 difficult to aquire images per day..sometimes less, sometimes more...and when a particular body in a multi body shoot, doesn't perform as well as others model(s), simply becuase it's not as appropriate or advantagous a body to use compared to others...then I simply say which bodies are. When I did one of these shoots with the D600 and D800 (very low light, extremely fast moving/ ever cahnging intensity and color temps of artifical lighting), I can tell you using the same techniques, the D600 actually had considerable increase in usuable files for this specific type of use, that the D800 (more than one body of each was employed). Again you knwo my feelings on the superb D800...but sometimes a lesser body due to a number the issues I outlined, actually was preferable. Neither though except for file size was superior to either the D3s or D4 under these conditions.

As to where individuals have tested and found certain good-excellent lenses that performed superbly on say the D3/D3s/D4/D600 but not at the same level as the D800....go to some of the more professional forums (there are many and easy to find) and you will both hear of and see examples of this. The Nikon 14-24 as just one example, a world class lens, sometimes has corner performance issues with the D800 thats not encountered on the other bodies. In this case, pixel density amoung other factors is but one of the reasons. There are both similar and other types of examples.

Again I very much appreciate your perspective and for those areas that we see agree, I welcome that and for those areas that we disagree or see things differently, we'll just have to disagree, hopefully on friendly and respectful terms. Thanks!

Dave

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow