7d camera 430ex11 flash

Started Feb 7, 2013 | Questions thread
Limburger
Limburger Veteran Member • Posts: 7,837
Re: Orrrrrrrrrrrrrr

ihgold2 wrote:

Mark B. wrote:

The 430ex can only be triggered in E-TTL mode; it doesn't have an optical-only slave mode. ...

Mark

I'm actually experimenting with this myself. I'm a total novice and still learning, so forgive me for anything silly I might say ...

But if you press and hold the Mode button for 2 seconds, the 430EX will go into Manual when it's a slave to the popup.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The confusing thing for me is, when it's a slave, you can see the distance scale you can see when it's on the shoe. So it's kind of hard to know what power you want to use, other than trial-and-error (or I suppose by taking a reading with the flash on the camera and then removing it?).

-ira

The scale only apears when distance and flash output can be calculated. When you put it up to the ceiling the scale dissapears as well, because the system doesn't know the distance (ceiling hight) and how much the lightbeam should be focussed or spread same for power.

Basicly off shoe the distance from flash to subject changes so the scale makes no sense anymore.

Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony Alpha a7 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow