rx100 the one to beat?

Started Feb 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 58,597
Re: Well, the S90 is the smallest

I can provide you with one (RAW file) I've been trying myself to optimize as an exercise, see what you can come up with, if you wish. Base ISO, f/5.6, shutter speed 1/200 sec. Room for highlight and shadows recovery as well, trees, ornate buildings and people included in the price!

I haven't really managed to get anything noticeably better than the equally post-processed OOC jpeg, so I'd be curious to see what a more experienced user can do. Let me know...

Sounds good, though I`d use a wider aperture than F5.6 which will be softer due to diffraction, I`d suspect the sensor/lens is at its sharpest around F2.8 .. if you can upload a RAW to Yousendit (free large file sharing site) , I`ll gladly have a go with Fast-stone which is FRE but gives the image as is, no fancy NR or anything . after seeing what I got from the PBlog samples, I`m sure that even Fast stone will recover loads of fine detail which the JPG engine is smothering .

Here`s a crop from one of the smaller aperture samples from PBlog (F2.8 should be sharper) - Faststone has left the whites blown to hell for some reason but look at the fine detail even in this .

100% Crop . note the grass detail even from this conversion

-- hide signature --

** A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow