Tamron 90-300mm Ebay Find for Sony A99

Started Feb 8, 2013 | Discussions thread
StayClassy
OP StayClassy Regular Member • Posts: 296
Re: Tamron 90-300mm Ebay Find for Sony A99

VirtualMirage wrote:

That's a bit of an odd duck.

It took me a few more looks to see the huge Tamron logos are stickers someone put on the lens.

The lens isn't popping up in Dyxum's lens database, but doing some Googling a few people have found this same lens in Pentax and Nikon mounts for sale on eBay for pretty much the same price you bought yours for. Those individuals and their comrades weren't familiar with it either.

I saw that at first too, but I called in to Tamron and after a few attempts, it turns out that it is indeed legit. One of the men I spoke to told me that Tamron did indeed "sticker" a few of these lenses for promotional purposes back in the early 90s and late 80s.

The guy on the phone asked me to tell him what the serial placard looked like, and he verified that it is the original serial too, not a fake. While they can't run the number itself due to them only logging serial numbers in recent years, he told me how to spot if the serial was duped or changed/stickered on. Seems really legit.

-- hide signature --

When people ask me whether I'm a photographer, I tell them that I'm more of a time artist. After all, my art is my ability to freeze time and capture a moment forever.

StayClassy's gear list:StayClassy's gear list
Sony Alpha a99 Sony a99 II Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
gil
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow