Olympus fast zooms may be coming in 2013

Started Feb 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 26,041
Re: Really, unless you are a wedding photographer...

Sergey Borachev wrote:

tedolf wrote:

who needs a fast zoom?

Primes work fine.

Tedolph

I do. A fast zoom is fine, very desirable in fact, if it has quality close to primes. Since Olympus is so late in the release of this lens, they really have to make it special to attract enough sales. There are enough zooms in this category for M43 users and therefore Olympus should release something similar to the 43 12-60mm, i.e. a general-use zoom lens that beats everything else in camera land, something that is very close in image quality to primes. Perhaps something like a 12-45mm f/2.8-4 with absolutely top IQ performance. Personally, I do not mind if it is heavier and bigger than the Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 if it has better quality than that one, since I will still be better off than carrying many primes, 12mm, 14mm, 17mm, 25mm, and 45mm, and, have them all ready to use, instantaneously with a flick of the zoom ring. And also have weather proof, which all those primes do not have. Those who complain about size and weight of a truly high-performance lens on what is a small mirrorless camera should consider this lens as the ultimate solution for size and weight reduction for those who need such a lens, as it provides the focal lengths of five lenses which must weight more. Or, they can just buy one of the other zooms.

Primes are great for some people under some conditions but not good when it is dusty and windy and you can't change lenses, when it is wet or when you need to shoot quickly and have no time to fiddle about changing lenses,

And this is where we agree. That is why I said "wedding photographers".

Videographers too.

getting confused with different lens controls and characteristics and then missing shots.

Pfffft.

Tedolph never "gets confused" or "misses shots".

Please.

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
FFS
BJL
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow