Proposing a simple shorthand for writing "35mm equivalent field of view"

Started Feb 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
John1940 Senior Member • Posts: 2,727
Re: Proposing a simple shorthand for writing "35mm equivalent field of view"

24hrexposure wrote:

I don't see the problem. If you know what sensor you're using, you only need to know the true focal length and aperture of the lens to know how it will perform. If you always use m4/3 cameras, what's the point of converting back and forth between 'ff equivalent' and true specs? You'll quickly learn how a 7mm or a 25mm lens looks on YOUR camera, and that's the only thing that matters.

What if I use several types of camcorders, P&S cameras and APS-C DSLRs and have used FF SLRs for 50 years? It's extremely useful to have an approximate standard in one's head for FF angle of view.

I don't remember the angle for any camera. But, I do remember what a 16 mm, 24 mm, 28 mm, 35 mm, 50 mm, 80 mm, 100 mm, 200 mm, 300 mm, and 400 mm (in FF terms) is used for.

I also know how to creat a spreadsheet cribsheet in short order to show the FF 35 mm equivalent horizontal AOV for any camera or camcorder I have (or any that exists). The same cribsheet can use any focal length input and sensor shape. Just enter the numbers. This is Spreadsheet 101 stuff.

Don't clutter your brain with angles. Just remember the FF equivalent lens focal lengths and their uses. The 35 mm FF numbers won't change for a long time because that format offers the best balance for very high IQ, performance and cost. (It does not mean that FF is better for travel photography for a non-pro such as me. I use APS-C, a G15, and sometimes a camcorder. And the cribsheet.)

John1940's gear list:John1940's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow