Olympus fast zooms may be coming in 2013

Started Feb 7, 2013 | Discussions thread
tjuster1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,901
Re: Olympus fast zooms may be coming in 2013

clengman wrote:

ryan2007 wrote:

Olympus should do fast zooms for Olympus users. If you know the Olympus lens may work better than the Panasonic on the Olympus body will you wait?

Also, manufactures always say their lens is great and revolutionary as a marking thing. You need to show confidence in your product. Sure, they will be good lenses.

The cost should be on par with Panasonic if constructed in a similar way like the internal zoom of the Panny 35-100 2.8.

No, no, no.

They shouldn't make fast zooms because olympus needs fast zooms that work on olympus bodies. The panny zooms work on olympus bodies. They need to differentiate their product somewhat. I'm not sure I'd be interested anyway. I think Id prefer to use my kit zoom and a few sub f/2 primes and I doubt I'll ever have the money for a fast zoom ​and​ fast primes.

But my point is, Olympus can't just make a 12-35 f/2.8 and a 35-100 f/2.8. They should make non-constant aperture zooms with longer range and no OIS. If they could do a 12-50 f/2.8-4.0 and a 50-150 f/2.8-4.5 (or something like that.) and make them a hair less expensive than the panny zooms they'd have something competitive.

Exactly, and I think Olympus is smart enough to know that. I'm hoping they go for the first one you mentioned--a 12-50mm 4/2.8-4.0, weather-sealed. I have the 12-60mm and it's a heavy monster. I also have the 12-50mm and it's super-light but slow and meh optically. Combine the best qualities of both and they'd have a real winner.

tjuster1's gear list:tjuster1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +5 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
FFS
BJL
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow