E-M5 | Absolute Best Settings for Big Landscapes

Started Feb 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
kenw
kenw Veteran Member • Posts: 5,342
Re: That 60mm macro lens

Guy Parsons wrote:

kenw wrote:

Not specifically about the 60mm (I have no information or experience with that lens) but lens performance (sharpness) can be noticeably different in the macro and infinity focus ranges. That's actually the whole point to macro lenses - good performance at close focus, not just the ability to focus close which you could do with any lens and an extension tube.

So just a wild-assed guess eh?

Macro lenses are usually optimised for close focus and should have a flatter field of focus than regular lenses which tend to have a curved field.

That though does not mean as a class of lens that distant focus is guaranteed to be bad.

My early shots with the 60mm at distant scenery look perfectly fine to me but after your comments I will look a bit closer - but do not expect to find any problems.

Regards...... Guy

Well I'm not guessing anything as I never claimed anything about the 60mm. Just explaining that lenses don't necessarily have uniform performance across all focus distances.

-- hide signature --

Ken W
See profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +34 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GBC
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow