rx100 the one to beat?

Started Feb 6, 2013 | Discussions thread
teddoman
teddoman Senior Member • Posts: 2,469
Re: rx100 the one to beat?

Undah wrote:

quality, video with zoom and without zoom motor noise, and an excellent lens.

I'll help fill in the gaps, since Sony fans probably won't.

I could be wrong, but I don't see anyone raving about the Sony lens. The sensor yes, the lens no. On the other hand, I have heard people raving about the LX7's Leica lens "magic" and sharpness end to end (but not its sensor).

I'm interested in easy adjustments (external controls preferable) but can overlook the lack of this if the auto mode is solid.

If you are ok with auto mode, RX100 is probably perfect for you. If you like to control your camera, it is a back menu driven camera, so the ergonomics suck.

I'm waiting for the Fuji x20 to come out. I'm looking at the olympus XZ-2. Even considering the Pentax MX-1.

But any way I look at it, the rx100 is the one to beat. Is this really the case? Anyone have the RX-100 and any of the above cams? (Ok, in the case of the Fuji, it would be x10 since the x20 is not out yet).

Any rumblings of an update to the RX100 coming out any time soon?

Last nit that seems substantial enough to mention about the RX100 is apparently the image stabilization is not really geared up sufficiently for a 20 mp camera. So with slow shutter shots you'll probably be getting more like 10 mp of sharpness, but not 20 mp. Check for RX100 threads on image stabilization for more info if this is something that affects your shooting. I don't own the camera but there are RX100 owners talking about this.

teddoman's gear list:teddoman's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a9 Sony E 30mm F3.5 Macro Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow