E-M5 | Absolute Best Settings for Big Landscapes

Started Feb 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
kenw
kenw Veteran Member • Posts: 5,342
Re: E-M5 | Absolute Best Settings for Big Landscapes

Not specifically about the 60mm (I have no information or experience with that lens) but lens performance (sharpness) can be noticeably different in the macro and infinity focus ranges.  That's actually the whole point to macro lenses - good performance at close focus, not just the ability to focus close which you could do with any lens and an extension tube.

If you look at the bottom of this page:

http://toothwalker.org/optics/lenstest.html

You can see an example of the difference in lens performance at different focus distances.  Lenses that start to look a bit soft at infinity aren't typical but they do exist and the most likely ones to have that issue are macro lenses (again, not that the 60mm itself necessarily does).

BingoCharlie wrote:

steven_k wrote:

IMHO not true. The Oly 60mm is not good at infinity I haves rented this lens it is best used for a macro lens which it was designed for.

Use the 45/1.8 and stitch

Could you elaborate on this a bit more? I haven't seen this raised in any review. Not saying you're wrong, just that I'm not entirely sure how this would work. If the lens is sharp and focus is accurate, how could it be bad at infinite focus?

-- hide signature --

Ken W
See profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +34 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GBC
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow