E-M5 | Absolute Best Settings for Big Landscapes

Started Feb 5, 2013 | Discussions thread
kenw
kenw Veteran Member • Posts: 5,342
Auto exposure bracket....

Getting the best RAW exposure is all about exposure.  In the changing light when the best shots are often made there is no hard fast rule for best exposure.  Blinkies can help to be sure, but even with them you'd want some insurance.  I always shoot AEB.  You can then in PP either select the best "exposed to the right" single capture or better still create a HDR file.  Now that LR lets you work with HDR files directly in LR it is easy to get excellent quality working files with high detail and very low noise from multiple RAW files while not having to deal with the vagaries of tone mapping in HDR software.

A side benefit is that in fast changing light I find having "one less thing to worry about" is critical in leaving me time to think about more important things.  In most cases I'm set up an hour before exposure time, but once the light changes it isn't that unusual to find I need a different composition than I planned.  I'm less likely to catch that if I'm twiddling knobs and staring at blinkies.  AEB and forget it.

The EM-5 is blessed with a wicked fast RAW buffer (get a fast SD card) which makes AEB a method with no really no negative trade-offs.

-- hide signature --

Ken W
See profile for equipment list

kenw's gear list:kenw's gear list
Sony RX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +34 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
GBC
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow