A lack of excitement about the 18-35 3.5-4.5?

Started Feb 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Guidenet Forum Pro • Posts: 15,748
Re: The range , the price and ... the quality !

Alberto 1290 wrote:

By the way... the real problem with Nikon WA (zoom or primes) is about distortion. The most (all ?) the Nikon lenses in that range suffers from that point of view and I really would like to see a change in this habit expeciallly thinking to architecture photography. I've always thought it's better to do every correction during the shot and I really don't like to loose part of the photo during software correction.

regards

Alberto

Hey Alberto, not counting Architectural use, I love the 16mm wide side of the 16-35 f/4 and don't mind the distortion in the least. In fact, I've added to it on occasion for effect. Often barrel distortion and keystoning can really play to a great composition. I even like the curving horizon in ocean or plains landscapes and can't see it in mountain or city scapes, much of the time.

I'm not sure why Nikon has designed some of their latest glass without more attention of distortion though. As much as I kind of love the barrel distortion, I realize it is a negative and wonder why they allowed so much to exist. I think Nikon relies too much in their auto-correction in the Jpeg engine or Capture NX so they can design for other attributes. I don't know. When I do correct for it, I have to plan up front to leave enough room to crop out the corrected corners. It's not too hard moving fromĀ 3x2 to 5x4 aspect ratio though. Just have to remember.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +31 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
xtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow