Is PowerCam the best toy camera app for Android today?
More good points:
- Can store original (combined but unfiltered) image for panorama.
More not-so-good points:
- Panoramas are low-resolution. I did a test and got only 748 (vs. 2560 possible) pixels high. A second try came out 706 pixels high. A test in landscape orientation, 426 pixels high (vs. 1920 possible). I suspect PowerCam's capturing at 800x600 when taking panoramas.
- No vignetting options, anywhere. Maybe it's because of the fixed 4:3 aspect ratio, but a toy camera app without vignetting?
- Original captures (if kept) are stored in the PowerCam/Original folder, not in the camera roll or elsewhere in the DCIM folder.
- App cannot be moved to internal SD card.
And a correction from my earlier posting: for panorama, you don't need to keep the shutter button pressed. Just touch it once, then pan the camera from left to right. An indicator bar shows how far along you are in the panorama.
I took a look at the ratings of various Android toy camera apps at applause.com, and PowerCam came out on the bottom. The main complaints seem to be device compatibility and user interface, with some disappointment about geo-location. That sounds about right.
Even so, among the toy camera apps I find PowerCam's feature set combined with full-resolution files (except for panoramas) to be compelling.
The open-source LightZone Project: http://lightzoneproject.org/
|Post (hide subjects)||Posted by||When|
|Feb 1, 2013|
|Feb 4, 2013|
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
|Sunflower Field by GrannyMeg|
from An impressionist piece
|Flag from Staten Island Ferry by wam7|
|Windswept juniper by Kreber|
from Wind power
|SAND SCULPTURE by duskman|
from Landscape - Black and White #4