Olympus Statement About Fourthirds and Micro Fourthirds

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Stacey_K Veteran Member • Posts: 8,049
Re: Olympus Statement About Fourthirds and Micro Fourthirds

Raist3d wrote:

The system is alive and well if it continues development. Doing the later is a backward compatibility move, not 4/3rds being "alive and well." You could say the lenses are supported- which is a good thing certainly, but alive and well means a system that continues being actively developed.

I think part of what we are seeing is simply technology changing. When the 4/3 standard was created, conditions existed that no longer exist.

1) Digital sensors were a lot less sensitive to light that didn't strike the sensor at a 90 deg angle to the sensor.

2) APS-C size sensors were a lot more expensive to produce than the smaller 4/3 ones.

3) FF sensors were stratospherically expensive to produce.

The whole telecentric 4/3 concept applied in the days of the E1 with it's kodak sensor. Time has moved on and technology has changed. While I hope they do make some sort of "backwards compatible" body, I agree this isn't a sign the 4/3 mount is being further developed and honestly not sure that would be R&D money well spent.

-- hide signature --

Stacey_K's gear list:Stacey_K's gear list
Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Sony Alpha 7 +17 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow