A lack of excitement about the 18-35 3.5-4.5?

Started Feb 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Alberto 1290
Alberto 1290 Forum Member • Posts: 78
Re: A lack of excitement about the 18-35 3.5-4.5?

paulski66 wrote:

inasir1971 wrote:

It is an update of what some have referred to as one of the worst lenses that Nikon has ever made, it's doing something which three other lenses already do (all faster or with VR), and I don't recall a single post with anyone wishing for this. No one has any idea how good (or bad) this is.

Why would anyone be excited?

Interesting; I've never seen it referred to as "one of the worst lenses Nikon has ever made."

Thom Hogan generally seemed very favorably disposed toward this lens, ans did Bjorn. It seems to suffer significantly on FX...but so do a number of older Nikkors (I traded in my 35mm f/2d because I found the FX performance so underwhelming, despite loving that lens on DX).

I think, done right, this could be a very appealing lens. I'm somewhat excited...

I agree. The Italian Photo Magazine "Tutti Fotografi" tested the old 18-35mm discovering it was better under every profile of the "professional" 17-35 f2.8

Obviously it was easy to be more correct due to the limited aperture, but it was so, and , in my experience, the lens was really satifactory.

regards

Alberto

Alberto 1290's gear list:Alberto 1290's gear list
Canon EOS-1D X Nikon Df Sony RX1 Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D70 +39 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
xtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow