E-M5 fun and frustration at the same time

Started Feb 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
sean000 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,326
Re: what did you do to that 45mm?

TORN wrote:

Am I the only one to feel that way about this camera?

I don't think many share your feelings, but that's okay. You don't have to like it or justify why you don't. If it doesn't do it for you, or the format doesn't do it for you, sell it and move on.

I really like my E-M5 for the powerful small package it represents and for the image quality it can deliver but after 6 months of use my initial enthusiasm has faded a bit. I use the same lens setup on any system: UWW zoom and a nice 35&85mm (analog to film). Now the 7-14 has proven to be very prone to magenta flare with a light source within the image ruining lots of shots.

I've never tried the 7-14mm, but I have the 9-18mm and I'm very happy with it. I do worry about it a little since it extends quite a bit in use. I wouldn't feel comfortable using it in conditions that are too dusty or drizzly. The 12-24mm for my Nikon is built like a tank. However I'd much rather carry the 9-18mm around, and it appears to be as good optically. I guess you give up some degree of ruggedness for portability. Or do you? The Rokinon 7.5mm fisheye I bought seems quite solid.

The Zuiko 45mm though optically great shows signs of wear (optically and mechanically) not even one of my Canon lenses has after 10 years of heavy use. I wonder if the 45 will see another year or if I have to buy a new one every other year.

What are you doing to it? This lens practically lives on my E-M5, and on my GF1 before that. I've used it almost every day or something like two years (or whenever it came out) and it still looks and works like new! I certainly won't say it's as solid a lens as some of my metal nikkors, but I don't think it needs to be. I don't toss around my gear very much. Well... I did sometimes when I was shooting events on the side, so I guess that's one case where I found the build quality of the Nikkors to be useful: I certainly didn't abuse them, but I was often in a hurry to swap lenses, and sometimes they just got tossed into the bag a little hastily.

The Panasonic 20mm and the Olympus 17mm 1.8 do simply not allow enough control over DOF for my applications. Was to be expected but I had hoped I could compromise on it (no, Voigtlanders are no option for me due to missing AF, size and weight).

The 25mm f/1.4 gives you a little extra, but it's subjective. I personally love the 20mm.

Sure some will come up with the "glas half empty" or "just another rant" argument but to me photography is supposed to be fun and what started to be fun went a bit downhill due to reasons which can not be found in the technical specifications. Right now I am simply pretty ambivalent about this camera. Will I ever get over it?

You probably won't. No camera or camera system is perfect, but it sounds like this might not be a great match for you. I agree with you on the annoyance of digging into menus for MySets and Bracketing, but beyond that I find the camera fits my hands really well and feels really good to use. I don't have any issues with unintentional settings. If I had bigger hands I could see it being a problem. Now I do find my Nikon D200 to feel really nice...at least until it starts to feel heavy. But overall I find the E-M5 to be the one I enjoy using the most. It barely feels like it's there when I don't need it, and when I do need it the camera does its job well... without feeling like it is ever getting in the way of what I am trying to capture. So it's a good fit for me, but that certainly doesn't make it a good fit for you. It's frustrating when you want to like something, but it just isn't working out for you. Good luck finding something that does, or good luck making the E-M5 work for you if you decide to stick with it.

Sean

sean000's gear list:sean000's gear list
Olympus Stylus XZ-10 Nikon D70 Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +14 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow