Now here is an honest review of the DP2 Merrill..

Started Feb 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 37,172
Re: Now here is an honest review of the DP2 Merrill..

KM Legacy wrote:

I also noticed how he uses 40 different cameras. That suggests that he is a gearhead who spends far too much time nitpicking cameras and comparing features, rather than taking pictures. To master any tool takes practice. I too wouldn't want to have a Sigma as my only camera, but I wouldn't want 40 cameras either.

I agree the number of cameras he mentions makes him suspect. On the other hand he did one thing that not everyone here does- he has photographs in his blog.

There is so much silliness and downright meanness in his article that it's hard to know where to start. He says the Sigma is matched by the Nikon D800. Well, that Nikon is huge, heavy, and about 3x as expensive as a DPxM. There is nothing near the size, weight, & price of a DP which produces the same IQ. It at least matches med. format film; in fact, some of the images from the DP3M look almost like 4x5 film IQ. In the film days, larger formats lagged behind 35mm in speed and gimmickry, but some people were willing to trade some inconvenience for unquestionably superior IQ. Calling them "cultists" would be as unfair as describing Sigma fans that way.

I don't miss the fact that Sigma doesn't have state-of-the-art video, gimmicky JPG-only modes like the Sony NEX, etc. It's a straightforward still camera for people who know photography and don't expect to be entertained, or to read 100 page manuals to figure out all the "features" which no user thought they needed until the planned-obsolescence crowd at the big co's told us we had to have them.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
JLK
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow