A lack of excitement about the 18-35 3.5-4.5?

Started Feb 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
jhinkey
jhinkey Senior Member • Posts: 2,802
Re: A lack of excitement about the 18-35 3.5-4.5?

philm5d wrote:

Am I the only one who actually likes the present version of this lens? I guess I ought to accept that I am in the minority onn these forums in that,

a) I actually own and use the equipment I talk about and

b) I am a full time pro of 30 years experience who actually sells images and doesn't pixel peep lenses to the nth degree.

Enough of the rant. I can sum up the present af-d lens. It is an extremely light weight lens with excellent performance for the price and. The centre is sharp at ALL apertures and focal lengths Yes if you stare into the far corners there is a lack of the central area performance, less so at the edges but far from unacceptable.

The image below is from a D800 at F5.6/18mm with the point of focus being the red car number plate. I can easily read the dealer's name on the plate - for crying out loud how much more do you want?

If the extra element in the latest version makes any improvement then I'll be buying one, on the other hand maybe I'm happy with this one that cost me £200 on eBay. By the way this lens knocks the socks off the 20mm f2.8. I had two copies of the 20, both were really soft at the edges and horrible colour fringing.

I also own the (weighs a ton) 14-24 but when I can live without the 14 end guess which lens I reach for!

Check that upper right hand corner for sharpness and CA . . . .

And while you are at it check the left and right edges.

The car license plate is not far enough into the corners or edges to see the issues that bother some of us who use those parts of the frame . . .

jhinkey's gear list:jhinkey's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 +21 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
xtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow