A lack of excitement about the 18-35 3.5-4.5?

Started Feb 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Son Of Waldo Regular Member • Posts: 320
Re: A lack of excitement about the 18-35 3.5-4.5?

GoldRingNikkor wrote:

inasir1971 wrote:

It is an update of what some have referred to as one of the worst lenses that Nikon has ever made, it's doing something which three other lenses already do (all faster or with VR), and I don't recall a single post with anyone wishing for this. No one has any idea how good (or bad) this is.

Why would anyone be excited?

Maybe because this paired with a D600 is finally an FX combo that I'd take on a long multi-day hiking tour?

Will it be able to compete with how soon we forget , at an FX level and for hundreds less than the 12-24 sold for, 10 years ago?

I know, I know. It might struggle a bit in the corners on that "e" that we all so desperately need (insert emoticon here - eyes rolling, closed or crossed, take your pick). Might only get the 'halfway decent' grade around here, 'decent' just seems too, well, optimistic...

I noticed that it weighs less than the Tamron 17-50/2.8 DX, and is just slightly larger. Which for me personally, is already on the small / light side of what I like in a wide angle zoom. However, as some F mount cameras get smaller (with FX DSLR not much smaller hopefully, otherwise 99 axis IBIS will be mandatory, not optional), they could also have less mirror slap and shutter vibration. Or so it seemed to me anyway after handling the D600 a couple of times (and in comparison to a D700). No, I didn't spend 8 hours verifying this, with Imatest...

So yes, in agreement with what you said, I don't see why it couldn't be a highly useful and desirable lens at times on a D600, or any other FX camera for that matter. 'Rugged' build quality never meant that much to me anyway and a few million others, I'm guessing. I have the 16-35 and owned the 24-70/2.8, neither of which I would have ever classified as 'rugged'.

Good to see you (still) around here BTW, GRNikkor. It's been awhile.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
xtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow