Nikon DSLR for MF lenses

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,624
Re: Nikon DSLR for MF lenses Thanks again

Kvenna wrote:

Bajerunner wrote:

Kvenna wrote:

Good choice!

If you haven't discovered it yet, there's a feature you may find useful. The fn button + command dial can be set to select from the non-CPU lens menu.

Chris

Thanks for this! I did input the non cpu lenses, but where in the viewfinder does the choice show up, is it by aperture? I had been wondering to ask this and now you mentioned it.

Thanks!

You can assign to the fn, DoF or AE-L/AF-L buttons (Custom Setting f4, f5 and f6). Then, when you press the button and rotate the dial you'll see the stored menu numbers, focal length and max aperture displayed on the top screen.

When you've selected a lens, the chosen aperture and shutter speed will be displayed in the viewfinder and on the top screen as usual.

Chris

Thanks for that. I did read about the assigning. As I said, when I did I thought I would see the lens choice in the viewfinder, saw the aperture change, not lens. Only last night realised its on the top screen. Thanks for the heads up/ follow up.

Helps me a lot, as ALL my six lenses (two 28mm 2.8's) are MF. I plan to get an 80-200 2.8 AF-D push pull later this year though, and maybe a 35-70 2.8 AFD if I  can get in good condition for a good price.

The optical quality and rendition of the 80-200 AF-D is really great from images i have seen and the 35-70 2.8 also, and that both seem to go for very fair prices in decent condition (apparently have to be careful with the 35-70 2.8, many cite hazing over time).

Thanks again.

-- hide signature --

.....Just from an amateur......''Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.” I am only a hoobyist, I cannot and do not give expert advice, dont expect it, just take it as a suggestion to think about, but only if you wish to.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow