A lack of excitement about the 18-35 3.5-4.5?

Started Feb 3, 2013 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Guidenet Forum Pro • Posts: 15,748
Re: Tomato/To-mah-toe, but...

paulski66 wrote:

I've always thought the d80/d90/d7000/d600 line-up was the "enthusuiast" line-up, the d200/d300/d800 line the semi-pro line-up.

The interesting thing about the d800 being that with it's awesome sensor, so many pros jumped in and had to have one...

Edit: Also, I'm not sure I would tag this as "consumer" grade. The build quality of the 24-85 is a good step up from the consumer kit lenses like the 18-55. Hell, I personally think it's a good step up from the 70-300 VR, which is a pretty solid lens.

You're spot on to the way I grade them as well. Not that it matters.

Also, I personally would consider the new 24-85 for full time professional use if I didn't have that range covered with my excellent 35-70 f/2.8 AFD. I don't live in the mid range enough to want to spend much there and the new 24-85 does just fine from what I'm seeing. The build is fine as well. If it had Nano Coating, I'd probably buy it regardless, but I'd still call it consumer grade. I call the 18-55 kit grade. ;-P

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 +31 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
xtm
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow