Lens Recommendation

Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Catallaxy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,724
Re: Lens Recommendation

Shoot from at least 10 ft away to minimize perspective distortion (not the same as lens distortion). Ideally, you would want to be 12 to 15 ft away. To far away and the photo will lose emotional intimacy. Too close and you get perspective distortion (big nose, no ears - as well as hands too large or thighs too large if subject is seated).

I would guess over 50, but less than 135mm. If using a prime, I would pick the Nikon 85 f/1.8 G. It is fairly fast focusing, gives good subject isolation and is not too big and formidible to your subjects.

If picking a zoom, I would opt for my Tokina 50-135 f/2.8, but that is out of production and will not AF on your camera. The new Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 OS would be ideal, but it is an expensive lens as well as being pretty big and heavy. The older Sigma 50-150 f/2.8 (two versions) is also very good and can be found on the used market from time to time.

The older Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AFS would also be good, although a bit long since it starts at 80mm. You might as well get the 85 prime and have the better subject isolation. And the 70-200 VRI and VRII would be good as well, although big and heavy and very expensive.

If your budget is very tight, the good old Nikon 55-200 VR (refurb for about $180) would do the job pretty well. Just watch the backgrounds and shoot wide open. Seriously, I have used this lens to good effect for portraits and action shots even though I have other lenses like the Tokina 50-135 f/2.8 and the Nikon 70-200 VRII. Bokeh is pretty good too.

-- hide signature --

Catallaxy

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow