Canon interview: the end of the DX pro line

Started Feb 2, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
Kerry Pierce
Kerry Pierce MOD Forum Pro • Posts: 19,177
Re: Canon interview: the end of the DX pro line

yray wrote:

Kerry Pierce wrote:When I can't use the d300 due to low light, I replace it with the d3s and a 1.4x TC.

Well, Kerry, but if you already wanted/needed to use a 1.4x TC with D300? It is not uncommon for me to use 1.4x TC with either my Sigma 120-300 f2.8 or 100-300 f4. The 1.4TC doesn't degrade image quality to a noticeable degree. However, to get comparable reach on D3s one would need a 2x TC. But unlike 1.4x TC, 2x TC does degrade image quality and I tend to avoid using it. So, this is still not a perfect solution, not even a particularly good one, at least in some instances.

Of course, there are issues with what I'm doing.  I generally don't use TC's with my long lenses, even in good lighting, but especially in lower light levels, so those issues aren't a big deal to me.  But, that doesn't alter the fact that the ideal solution would be a true d300 replacement with a better high ISO sensor.

Kerry

-- hide signature --

my gallery of so-so photos
http://www.pbase.com/kerrypierce/root

Kerry Pierce's gear list:Kerry Pierce's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +15 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
(unknown member)
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
WD
WD
TOF guy MOD
TOF guy MOD
WD
WD
WD
WD
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow