Canon 35 f1 + Canon 85 f1.8

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 13,229
Re: What?

brightcolours wrote:

What we have learned.

1. the 85mm f1.8 USM is sharper across the frame than the 100mm f2.8 L IS USM, with quite a bit better borders and edges.

yeah, right... fact check please...

knock yourself out as playing the teacher,  but I'm not seeing versatility and flexibility in what you actually own - but hey, shop bokeh all you want - it's your $

the 100L is most fun lens ever on both FF and crop - it does have advantages on FF-- here is a visual comparison for you on sharpness

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=106&Camera=453&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=0&LensComp=674&CameraComp=453&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=0&APIComp=0

and charts are at dpreview - sharpest lens ever tested

and here is what Bryan says at the digital picture site for the 85:

“I didn't find myself using the Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Lens very much after getting the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM Lens. Although 1 1/3 stop slower, I found the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8 L IS USM Lens to be far more versatile."

and here is what Bryan says about the 100L

"I called the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro Lens Canon's "Most fun per dollar lens". While that lens is less expensive, I'm thinking the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS USM Macro Lens may be the new holder of this title. The improvements in this lens, especially the Hybrid IS, go a long way toward increasing the fun-ness. And the results are definitely fun-inducing. This is a highly recommended lens."

my thoughts match Bryan's exactly

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
MAC
schmegg MOD
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
MAC
MAC
MAC
schmegg MOD
MAC
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
MAC
schmegg MOD
MAC
MAC
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
schmegg MOD
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow