Orion Nebula from my livingroom with a compact camera :-)

Started Feb 1, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NoRules
NoRules Senior Member • Posts: 1,458
Orion Nebula from my livingroom with a compact camera :-)

I was a bit bored today. Forcast was very promising, but then it got cold. Very cold. I decided to have some fun and mounted my Panasonic FZ200 on the Vixen Polarie, just inside of my porch door. Alignment was done with a compass and the rudimentery scale on the side of the tracker

I found the nebula through the window, and opened the door for each exposure, and held it shut for each darkframe ... brrr ... Orion is a very low constellation her i Norway, so I'll never get it from my astroshed. I have always wanted my own image of M42 like many other here, and it actually worked! Because of heat rising from the door opening, it was a blury result, but I proved a consept. I did 1 munute exposures, but at 1600 ISO (x12), 400 ISO (x4) and 100 ISO (x2). And then my cat, Mr Bubbles, came running in through the door, scared of some deers in the orchard, and crashed in my tripod, ruining the alignment and framing. The consept was fine though. By pasting in just the center of the 100 ISO frames, I got nice details in the bright parts, and the 1600 ISO's gave nice rendering of the outer parts. The nebula is very tricky to get right. So when it gets warmer I'll do this for real with that amazing little camera. It has a 600mm equiv. 2.8 lens, and a shutter time of 60 s. Very nice for objects without too much H-alpha light.

-- hide signature --

Free your mind, and your camera will follow...

NoRules's gear list:NoRules's gear list
Pentax K-01 Leica M-Monochrom Pentax Q7 Pentax Q-S1
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow