Set Picture Control?
Started Feb 1, 2013 | Questions thread
kiirokurisu • Regular Member • Posts: 385
Re: Set Picture Control?
In reply to Ray Ritchie • Feb 1, 2013
Picture Controls as Nikon calls them, as well as identically functioning settings on Canon, etc, in summary:
- If shooting in JPEG mode, irreversibly change the tone curve that is applied to the image sensor data to arrive at the final image. You may notice a monochrome Picture Control which obviously is the most extreme example yielding a black & white image. So the effect can be subtle or dramatic. Try it and see.
- If shooting in RAW mode, and converting using the manufacturer supplied software (e.g. Capture NX for Nikon), do the same as above but you can change the Picture Control applied to the image after the fact with no penalty.
- If shooting in RAW and converting with a 3rd party converter e.g. Lightroom, Camera Raw, Aperture etc, have no effect on the final image produced.
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow
Have your say
What's been the most exciting announcement of Photokina?
- Canon EOS M58.8%
- Panasonic G85/G803.3%
- Panasonic FZ2500/FZ20001.9%
- Panasonic LX10/LX151.2%
- Panasonic GH5 development3.6%
- Sony a99 II15.9%
- Nikon KeyMission 170 and 801.0%
- Fujifilm GFX 50S development28.3%
- Olympus E-M1 II development18.7%
- Olympus E-PL80.1%
- Olympus 25mm F1.2 Pro1.5%
- Olympus 12-100mm F4 IS Pro1.9%
- Olympus 30mm F3.5 Macro0.1%
- Sigma 85mm F1.4 Art3.6%
- Sigma 12-24mm F4 Art2.6%
- Sigma 500mm F4 DG OS HSM Sport2.4%
- YI M12.2%
- GoPro Hero50.8%
- GoPro Karma drone2.2%
Total voters: 5,343
|Sadiqur_Rahman by Sadiqur Rahman|
from Ain't Going to Work on Maggie's Farm no More
|Airborne by John Beavin|
from - How to respect the Flag and Anthem - (Portrait in Full Colours + A Border)
Most popular cameras
YI M14.6%Canon EOS 5D Mark IV2.5%Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX10 (Lumix DMC-LX15)2.2%Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ2500 (Lumix DMC-FZ2000)1.8%Olympus PEN E-PL81.8%Panasonic Lumix DMC-G85 (Lumix DMC-G80)1.7%Canon EOS M51.7%Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX100 IV1.7%Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1001.5%Sony Alpha a63001.5%
In-depth testingLatest Camera ReviewsBeyond the studio testsFeature Articles and VideosPIX VideosTalks, demos and panels711The Canon that canCanon EOS 80D Review372Touchscreen street shooterFujifilm X70 Review2163Upwardly mobileSony a6300 Review338Power ZoomPanasonic Lumix ZS100/TZ100 Review2501Retro through-and-throughFujifilm X-Pro2 Review
Top threads in this forum
Most bookmarked in this forum