Anyone understands the point of Nikon's Auto ISO logic on D600?

Started Jan 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 24,195
Fine, there is really nothing more to say than...

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

olyflyer wrote:

Pradipta Dutta wrote:

No. ISO varies between 100 and max value set in the camera.

Why did you mutilate my post and twist it into something I have NOT said? Are you doing it just so that you have something to argue about or is it because you did not understand what I have written?

The ISO will be lowered below the base ISO ONLY if the ISO base, shutter speed and aperture will result in overexposure. The variation is NOT between ISO 100 and the maximum ISO, but between the Auto ISO base and the maximum ISO. The camera will keep the ISO as near the Auto ISO base as possible if it needs to go below to avoid overexposure.

I am not mutilation anything. It is you who continues to come up with complex logic and not seem to understand what Minimum means.

Do this simple test -

I have done all the testing I am ready to do in this subject. I know EXACTLY how it is working, so any more test is pointless because it will result in the same as before.

Is it because you immediately prove that the camera really operates between ISO values 100 and the max value set by the user? So, that proves your point wrong.

The camera will keep as high ISO as possible, as near as possible to ISO3200, but in my opinion this is a faulty, wrong setup for a test. The reason to set high base ISO is to be able to keep high shutter speed, and in your proposed test, in bright condition this is not realistic. Set base ISO to ISO1600 and shutter speed to 1/500 and see what happens...

I will not get into the Auto ISO algorithm. Only thing I stressing on is you are wrongly concluding that minimum ISO is the ISO value set in the camera. Instead it is actually 100 for D800.

The camera behaves exactly same as written in the user manual - minimum value of ISO is always 100. For D3, it used to always 200.

The camera will keep as high ISO as possible, as near as possible to the base ISO. In your "test" scenario the camera will most probably go down to ISO100, assuming it is bright enough, and that's exactly what I'd expect it to do. This is NOT described in the manual, so the way I see it, the manual is wrong because it is not explaining what is happening and how it is working.

Just as it goes down to ISO 100, it proves my point. I have already proven it. If you test, you will prove it as well.

Repeat the test with Aperture set to F/22 and Shutter Speed to 1/8000. What you will notice is the ISO maxes out at 6400 even though the images are under exposed. What this whole exercise proves is ISO varies between 100 and max value set in the camera in Auto ISO mode.

This whole exercise is pointless unless you create a useful test scenario. Of course if the conditions are bright enough the camera will go to ISO 100 and of course if the conditions are dark then the camera will go to maximum ISO, so the test scenario you defined is totally pointless because it has only one goal, to create a scenario to proof that the manual is right. This is not the way complex systems are tested and test scenarios are created.

Please stop mutilating my post just so that you can continue this pointless arguments to fit your agenda. If you don't understand what I am saying ask for clarification. My English is not perfect since it is a foreign language for me, so maybe I am not as clear as you wish me to be, but mutilating my posts won't improve clarity, since through your mutilation the message I was giving is twisted to nonsense.

I am not mutilating anything. It is you who acknowledges that camera goes down to ISO 100 but continues to argue that 100 is not the Minimum value. Simply accept that you are wrong.

...what's been said here.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow