Recommend a monopod for 200/2 VRII

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
wasserball Veteran Member • Posts: 3,984
Re: Recommend a monopod for 200/2 VRII

Frederico70x7 wrote:

I don't have this lens yet but very close of getting it this Spring. I'm also looking for a handy monopod to go with this chubby fat boy. Any existing owners of this lens share user experience of which monopod used? I am looking at Manfrotto 681B, 679B and 680B. Also any thought of a good monopod ball head that uses Acra Swiss style plate?

I shoot high school sports with a 400mm f2.8 VR on a D3s/D700, total weight about 13 pounds. I used this one, around $10. I and newspaper shooters never use a head with a monopod. Just screw the foot onto the 1/4' thread on the monopod.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Targus-67-Lightweight-Monopod-w-Spiked-Feet-Foam-Handle/10370963

The stiffness of the monopod you need depends on how you hold the camera and the lens. I know "most" shooters rest their left hand on top of the 400mm hood to steady any movements, but this method adds weight to the monopod. I hold lens and camera like holding a rifle, with my left hand under the hood, which takes weight off the monopod. Therefore, I can use a lighter monopod to steady the shot.

wasserball's gear list:wasserball's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/2.8G ED-IF VR Nikon D3S Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow