If not Aperture, then what are you using on your Mac?

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
Alpha Doug Veteran Member • Posts: 9,222
Re: If not Aperture, then what are you using on your Mac?

Except for cameras that must use digital lens corrections, and some cameras with odd sensor topology, I don't understand the issues with Aperture's RAW conversions.  I do understand that NX2 picks up the "in-camera" settings, even when shooting RAW, and applies those settings in the initial conversion process.  But other than using the in-camera settings, automatically (thereby creating a virtual JPEG clone), Aperture does a great job of converting RAW images.  I am reminded of a test that was done by Shutterbug about two years ago.  They took every RAW conversion engine available at the time and put the same RAW image into it.  The user then adjusted the image to his own visual liking in each program, without simultaneously looking at the results of the other programs.  Then he gave the resulting images to a panel of folks to evaluate without knowing which conversion engine was used.  And the result was that all the images were virtually identical, with tiny differences explanable by slightly different user settings.  Aperture is actually the best photo management system I've seen, it does excellent RAW conversion, has very robust RAW adjustment tools (although Lightroom has a few new and better adjustments that I wish were in Aperture).  Once you do a little study and practice, you will find that it has one of the most thoroughly thought out interfaces of any photo software ever.  It has a great Book creation module, it has a great Multi-media slideshow/video creation module, a Full Screen mode that is better than any other software I have used, and a pretty good print module (again, Lightroom has a few extra print capabilites, and the print interface is a little less finicky, although still pretty complex).

If you like a structured modular interface, and you don't mind light grey text on a dark grey background, and you aren't very particular about organizational ease, or integration with the rest of OS X, use Lightroom.  If you like a non-modal interface, integration with the rest of lLife and iWork, use Aperture.  the price is right also.

-- hide signature --

Only my opinion. It's worth what you paid for it. Your mileage may vary! ;-} www.dougwigton.com/

Alpha Doug's gear list:Alpha Doug's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha NEX-6 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow