X10 and X20 - I think I have found the best wide angle converter WC-E68 ?

Started Jan 31, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP (unknown member) Junior Member • Posts: 45
Re: X10 and X20 - I think I have found the best wide angle converter WC-E68 ?

Hi,

finally some pics. Unfortunately, I am handholding the wide adapter to the front of the lens of the x10, so I am certain that it is not properly centered to the lens.

I used the 40-49mm stepup ring to simulate the 40-46mm stepup ring that I have on order from Ebay - basically, just to simulate the distance between the adapter lend back and the front of the x10 lens. The results are not that great with the stepup ring between the two lenses, but there is hope: the Nikon WC-E68 adapter lens has a flange ring at the back, which only purpose seems to be for when you put the lens down on a surface, then the back element is protected and does not touch the surface that you put it on. So, if you are brave enough to skim/grind off the protective ridge/flange and use it permanently with the 40-46mm stepup ring, it should be just fine.

Following here are 3 pics of my guest cloakroom, as it makes a typical small room in a home that a real estate agent will face. All 3 taken at f2.

1st one at 28mm without anything:

1st pic at 28mm without anything attached.

2nd pic at 28mm with 40-49mm stepup ring and WC-E68 handheld to the stepup ring - a bit soft at the sides, but still useable for web based real estate ads. Still f2 though.

3rd pic at 28mm without stepup ring and the WC-E68 hand held to the front of the x10 lens, so not as centered as can be, but it does look quite good to me and perfectly acceptable for real astate ads. Still at f2

So, it may not be a perfect solution, but is sure is good enough for my usage. I think I will grind away the ridge at the back of the WC-E68 as it seems to yield better results on the edges with the adapter lens being closer to the x10 lens.

The WC-E68 adapter lens is also quite light weight at 189g and the front cap is another 13grams.

I also took some other pics which I will post a bit later: a much larger room as well as outdoors landscape (taken at f4 I think).

Comments or requests welcome - it might just take a while for me to respond, as my schedule is rather busy at the moment, but I will

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards,
Waldman Jordaan

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow