What is mFT FoV?

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Questions thread
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,468
Re: Effects of Pin-cushion Distortion Correction on FOV

Detail Man wrote:

Steen Bay wrote:

Detail Man wrote:

With respect to some fixed reference aspect-ratio of output images, it seems that camera body manufacturers must cover the specified FOV in the case of zero rectlinear distortion, and we have found that additional FOV can only be realized (in the case of the existence of finite amounts of barrel-distortion) when one is willing to increase the magnitude of the numerical value of the output image aspect-ratio (such that the horizontal dimension of the output image is allowed to increase relative to the vertical dimension).

Yes, the "manufacturers must cover the specified FoV in the case of zero rectilinear distortion", but like I said, and like Anders said, and like the WA examples posted by gollywop and Guy Parsons show, then the uncorrected horizontal, vertical and diagonal FoV is quite a bit wider than strictly necessary, so it's perfectly possible to get a rectilinear corrected 4:3 image that has a wider FoV than the OOC JPEG has, a FoV that's considerably wider in all directions than the specified FoV.

I do not agree with your statements. Prove your assertion directly using images generated by you. Other than direct evidence that actually demonstrates your assertion, I am not at all interested.

Panasonic 7-14 at 7 mm converted by RawDigger (I used the screenshot function ).

After proper correction of geometric distortion:

As processed by LR 4.3 from RAW (the OOC jpeg is cropped identically):

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow