Anyone understands the point of Nikon's Auto ISO logic on D600?

Started Jan 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 24,304
Re: Anyone understands the point of Nikon's Auto ISO logic on D600?

OutOfFocus student wrote:

1. I agree (and know) that it will go below MIN ISO if the shutter speed has hit its ceiling. But that's essentially irrelevant for most shooting conditions.

No, it will NEVER go below Minimum ISO. There is only one minimum ISO and you can not set that. What you can set is ISO sensitivity level, which is the base ISO for Auto ISO. Minimum ISO is fixed to 100 in the camera.

2. You need to set it to ISO 100 before you can turn it off. That's why two wheels are necessary and you want is lost setting is lost.

To turn what off? The Auto ISO? No, you don't need to set to ISO100 before you can turn Auto ISO off.

3. I still have not heard a single good reason to have ISO lower bounded (there are many good reasons to have it otherwise).

The reason to have a base minimum is to make sure you can keep a certain shutter speed and aperture combination. If you for example know that the camera will lower the shutter speed too much for your scenario and if you know that the light is variable there is all the reason one needs to set a higher than ISO100 as base ISO, but no, there is no reason to keep that and create a lot of overexposed images. Technically it is easier to save an underexposed than an overexposed image, so nor raising the maximum ISO but lowering the base ISO is a very good approach.

And anyone who finds this sensible please explain why in M and A modes it behaves differently?

The D800 Auto ISO behaves exactly the same way in A, M and S modes.

This is pure nonsense that (as far as I know) no other manufacturer has. The only good thing about this system is that AutoISO is flexible enough that I almost never need to use manual ISO so I use manual ISO only in M which is implemented in a logical way.

I am open for suggestions... how could the Auto ISO be improved according to you?

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow