What's more important; wide angle lenses or telephoto lenses?

Started Jan 25, 2013 | Questions thread
JeffAHayes
JeffAHayes Senior Member • Posts: 1,968
Re: What's more important; wide angle lenses or telephoto lenses?

hikenhi wrote:

I shoot mostly landscape so it's wide angle for me, but with Dady's favorite subject there's no denying the importance of the telephoto lens.

Well, Hiken, if you're TOTALLY INSANE, like me (and the late Sam Kinison), you do like the Scarecrow said inThe Wizard of Oz... "Of course, some folks do go both ways."

Lemme see (not counting the WR version of the "kit" lens I got with my K-5 for backup), I started with the 16-50... Quickly wasn't happy with no telephoto other than my old (90s) A F2.8 135, so I plunked out for the DA 55-300 F4-5.8, then the DFA 100 WR Macro F2.8... But, yaknow, I really still wanted MORE. So I stuck my neck WAY out and got the "Bigma" Sigma 50-500 F4.5-6-3... Then again, that was just TOO MUCH sometimes, in weight -- and not enough, in light sensitivity, so I stuck it out even further almost a year later and got the DA* 300mm F4. But I was still missing something... What was I missing??? Oh, I know. I didn't have wide-angle... Well, I did, sort of... 16 (aka 24) mm. But what's that, really??? So after seeing some simply GORGEOUS pics Wesley Wong posted here he took with the Rokinon MF 8mm fisheye, well, you know... had to have it. Least expensive lens I've bought, too. Gotta be careful not to get your shoes in the shot, lol. (Oh, and I did all this in 15 months?!?!?)

So if ya want 8-500, just come see me... But be forewarned, you may leave the house screaming... or laughing hysterically...

Muah, Muahahah... Muahahahahahahaaaaaaaaaa!!!

-- hide signature --

A word is worth 1/1000th of a picture... Maybe that's why I use so many words!

JeffAHayes's gear list:JeffAHayes's gear list
Pentax WG-3 Pentax K-5 Pentax K-30 Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED AL (IF) SDM +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow