Primes > Zooms All Other Things Being Equal?

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Keith Z Leonard Veteran Member • Posts: 6,056
Re: Primes > Zooms All Other Things Being Equal?

I'm going with no on this one, in general modern zooms are REALLY good, very sharp, good color, and good distortion characteristics.  As zoom range increases this gets worse, so there seems to be a happy zoom range (3-4x1).  With IS/OS in modern zooms they have a lot of advantages over primes.

Primes have a few things going for them too, typically even better distortion, good sharpness, etc...the biggie though is that they tend to be faster.  f1.2, f1.4, f1.8 primes can give interesting results that you just cannot get with the typical f2.8-f4 zooms.  The newer primes coming out with IS are typically a stop slower to accomidate it, they are interesting trade offs.  There is also the thinking that making you walk around instead of zoom a lens makes you a better photographer, generally I think that's not very convincing, either you think about framing, DOF, or you don't.

btw, I use both, I use primes wide open and zooms when I need flexibility.  I would suggest trying them both and seeing which you personally like more, they both will produce great images.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 400D +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow