What do you think about hiring a retoucher?

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Questions thread
Ed Rizk Senior Member • Posts: 1,867
Re: What do you think about hiring a retoucher?

I started digital photography to save money on my marketing, along with doing my own web site and flyers.  I have since spent twice as much as I have saved on the photography itself, but that's another story.

When it comes to capturing an image, as a real estate broker who visits properties many times and always carries a camera, I have an advantage over a pro who has to get the shot in one or two visits and move on to the next good deal.  I can shoot the property a dozen times in a dozen different lighting conditions without going out of my way.  I have to show, study, sometimes clean up, and put signage on the property anyway.  If I see something, I can always take some more free digital pics.  I can also update pics every time tenants change or improvements are made.

In retouching, I would have to work long and hard to do as well as a pro.  I enjoy editing on the computer and will always do it.  It's a great way to feed my attention deficit while I am watching TV, talking to the family, and answering the phone.  To out do the full time pro, I would probably have to retire from the real estate business.

With a larger marketing budget, I would definitely consider outsourcing the retouching, along with the web site and the flyers.  Whatever my budget, I think I would use a majority of my own captures. That makes yours and interesting business idea.

Question for you, would your retouching have a certain look, or would you taylor the look to the taste of the client?

-- hide signature --

Ed Rizk

Ed Rizk's gear list:Ed Rizk's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 35mm F2.0 Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow