Original 12.8mp 5d thoughts.

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Sovern Contributing Member • Posts: 907
Re: Original 12.8mp 5d thoughts.

Rexgig0 wrote:

KEH seems to be consistently recommended as a good source for pre-owned equipment. I bought from KEH one time, but it was a flash unit, not a camera. Its condition was perfect.

As for personal safety when meeting a local seller, face-to-face, there are quite safe places to meet, such as the front lobby of a police station.

I was fortunate in acquiring a quite clean, new-appearing pre-owned 5D "Mark I/Classic" at a local dealer, though its mirror failed after a while. This mirror failure was an anticipated likelihood, so was not a disappointment. In order to minimize changing lenses, and therefore minimize dust inside the camera, I later acquired a second 5D through a EBay sale. This one already had the mirror fix. Now, I can keep my 40mm STM on one 5D, and my 135L on the other, and rarely change lenses. (I have cropped-frame Canons, with in-built sensor cleaning, to use at work, and for sports and birds/wildlife.)

I have read that 5D cameras, made after a specific time, had reinforced mirrors as part of manufacture, and are not likely to fail. This may be something that can be determined by serial number, but I do not know that number; perhaps someone on this forums knows, and can share. I have also read that higher-serial-numbered 5D cameras have a better rear LCD, but by current standards, no 5D has a really good LCD. The 5D had a quite decent LCD for its time, but LCD technology has improved dramatically since the 5D was new.

The thing that scares me off from buying used gear from individual sellers is theres no warranty. With KEH camera and the likes theres a 6 month warranty and 14 day return policy set in stone in the case of a shutter failing or some other camera mechanism failing.

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow