800mm f/5.6...lighter than 600mm f/4....nice!

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
KnightPhoto2
KnightPhoto2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,968
Re: Well, Nikon, thanks for making up my mind...

Roland Lutz wrote:

That's impressive, and if you want that performance it's going to cost you. I don't see what the big deal is and why all the moaning and groaning about price on a lens for which most of us have zero use/need.

To cut it short: Nikon is making money by getting the right products to the market. Impressive as it may be (which I don't doubt in any way!), in my opinion the 800mm f5.6 is not going to help much in terms of sales.

That's first and foremost Nikon's problem, of course. On the other hand, if they are not successful on the market, a weakened Nikon can also cause problems for professional Nikon users. I remember very well how long we had to wait for the transition from the D1x to the D2x and how many of my colleagues switched to Canon in that time or at least considered that very intensely. We're far of that situation now, thank Nikon-San.

My point being: Such an expensive lens is not going to sell very often - at 2/3 the price sales could be much higher. Which I think would be better for Nikon.

It's a fascinating beast anyway.

I still hope, Nikon is going to adress other, more common focal lenghts with great optics very soon (a small and great 20mm f2.8 AF-S for instance, maybe a pancake lens, an updated version of the 300mm f4 AF-S with VR and so on). The market for these things is so much bigger...

To each his own.

Roland

Nikon's mis-priced it ALA D3X. Two-thirds the price and many of us 500mm owners would have considered it. They seem to have priced it assuming they will sell very few.

All my griping aside, ;-), it looks fantabulous. Now back to the real world, D400, and my friends one-owner 600 f/4 appear to be more pragmatic.

Incidentally, a lighter 600mm f/4 built on this same platform would be the real sweet spot in the lineup for many of us birders. The Canon 600 II is as light as their currently prevalent version of their 500 IS.

-- hide signature --

Best Regards,
SteveK
'A camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera.' -- Dorothea Lange
http://images.nikonians.org/galleries/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/119002

KnightPhoto2's gear list:KnightPhoto2's gear list
Nikon 1 V3 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR +21 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow