Focus and 5D MK III

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
plautoq Regular Member • Posts: 118
Focus and 5D MK III

Dear DPExperts...

I was shooting indoors (gymnastics) and I notice that a few pictures were out of focus (in fact - focus was on some of the background subjects rather than the main subject). I looked where my focus points were using DPP, and the focus point (1 point to the right from the center point - within the selected zone) was on the background subject. I was using AF Mode AI Servo, AF config Case 1 and Zone AF, zone auto swicthing set to 0. The main difference is the outfit of the subjects : the main subject is wearing a 'mostly' red with a few white and blue stripes outfit, and the background subject is wearing a white/black outfit combination. I believe the white/black outfit had a higher contrast, therefore the camera 'chose' to pick that as the main subject within the zone selected. Any creative solutions to work around that ? I'm planning to shoot next time using center point only to assure I have the main subject in focus, but it defeats the purpose of having zone AF for accuracy (the subjects are moving at a high speed and sometimes is hard to track them perfectly with center focus only).

I always thought that the focus point had priority in that situation, but the priority is always best contrast within the zone. Does it make sense ?

Sorry for the long note, but thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Cheers.

plautoq's gear list:plautoq's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 4
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow