Primes > Zooms All Other Things Being Equal?

Started Jan 30, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP MMACory Senior Member • Posts: 1,773
Re: Primes > Zooms All Other Things Being Equal?

There's a slight chance that you're going to beat the **** out of me.  I really liked my 135 as a one-lens solution for volleyball (and got great shots with it), but replaced it with a 100 2.0 and 200 2.8 and glad I did.  These two focal lengths serve me better than the "inbetween" 135 on a crop and maybe I'm answering my own question by saying that I prefer them to the venerable 2.8 II zoom that I tried.

This is about my current everything-but-sports lens being a Sigma 30 1.4.  I like everything about it a lot, but could use a bit wider once in awhile.  The new 30 1.4 caught my attention as does the new 17-70 and Tokina 12-28.

I'm currently leaning towards getting the Sigma 17-70 in a week or two, but I also really like the looks of the 30 1.4 (to which a Tokina 11-16 or 12-28 might be a good match to).  Or another option might be the Tokina 12-28 for most everything not sports and a 50 of some sort for portraits.

My camera's a T1i that I get some REALLY good pictures from so I'll keep that for awhile out of fear of learning a new camera and the acknowledgement that most of the magic is from the lens.  That's why I obsess so much over lenses.

MMACory's gear list:MMACory's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 135mm F2L USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow