'The Sigma 30mm the best of all available E-mount lenses?'

Started May 4, 2012 | Discussions thread
GaryW Veteran Member • Posts: 8,541
Re: 'The Sigma 30mm the best of all available E-mount lenses?'

cptrios wrote:

Having now used the 30 in the real world for a while, I've found my initial enthusiasm a bit dampened. Yes, it's quite sharp - but it's really got no character . There's little in the way of microcontrast, for example. And I quite often found myself wishing for f/2, unsurprisingly.

The impressive thing is how sharp it is wide-open.  This means you really do have a stop advantage over the kit lens, unless your scene is static and can use OSS.  When light is low and you're trying to capture casual shots of people, they're not really that static; even at 1/20, head movements can turn into blurs.

Then, of course, I remember that it cost $200 and most is forgiven!

We caught it when it was on sale for less than that!  For $150, it's really, really hard to complain.

If I must find something negative about it,the bokeh is not that great.  Not "bad" but not really "good" either, at least for a prime.  The bokeh of the kit lens looks better, I think!  Oh well.  Can't have it all, I guess.

I'm going to give the lens a chance and see how it goes.

-- hide signature --

Gary W.

GaryW's gear list:GaryW's gear list
Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha NEX-5 +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow