Legacy Lenses - the good... the bad... the ugly?

Started Jan 29, 2013 | Discussions thread
tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 24,151
My recolection is.....

Domagoj Batinic wrote:

tedolf wrote:

Registration distance varied between makes. Konica I think had the shortest, Nikon the longest so that effects the lenght of the adapter, and the extent to which the lens had to be a retro-focus design. I think that is why the Konica lenses are so popular here-shortest registration distance thus designed more like a ragefindere lens.

Konica AR mount has about 2mm longer registration distance than 4/3 registration distance. Nikon f has about 6mm longer registration distance than Konica.

that if the focal length is shorter than the registration distance the lens has to be a retrofocus design.  I think the Nikon registation distance was very close to 50mm so the standard Nikon lens might have been slightly retro-focus  or close to it.

The Konica mount was shorter as you say so a standard 50mm AR lens would not have to be a retro-focus design.

Konica rangefinder lenses have much shorter registration distance (like all RF lenses), but those lenses are also pricey

Yes, the standard M39 or Leica M mount was about 26mm as I remember so any focal leght significantly above that would not need to be a retro-focus design. That is part of the mysique about moderate wide angle and standard focal lenght rangefinder lenses-they had an inherent design advantage over SLR lenses.

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/mounts-by-register.html

-- hide signature --

my gear:
E-M5+45mm/1.8
E-520+12-60+14-42+70-300+Sigma 105 + FL-50R+EC20 + SRF-11
and good number of legacy lenses (list in profile)

TEdolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +8 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow