OM-D E-M5 a huge disappointment for me...

Started Jan 27, 2013 | Discussions thread
Anders W Forum Pro • Posts: 21,466
Re: Anti-shock delay solution?

Rick880 wrote:

Rick880 wrote:

Prairie Pal wrote:

I think every film shooter will attest to "mirror slap" being an issue at almost the exact same shutter speeds as shutter shock is in mirrorless cameras. Something that I don't understand though is that people are saying certain lens combinations elminate shutter shock and others lenses don't. LONGER focal lengths should exagerate it for the same reasons long lenses exagerate hand shake. If there are some longer lenses that are reducing the shock, could it be that their design has some sort of dampening effect?

There is no mirror in E-M5. Mirror slap is a different beast.

Just finishing Thom Hogan's E-M5 review "http://www.sansmirror.com/cameras/a-note-about-camera-reviews/olympus-camera-reviews/olympus-om-d-e-m5-review.html". He attributed the "shutter shock" to be cuased by the five axis image stabilization system. I have read Thom's blogs for years and he knows what he is saying. A direct quote from his review:

"Some people refer to this last bit as "shutter shock," implying that the shutter is the culprit. I suppose that's possible, but the shutter doesn't always cause a problem at a given shutter speed and focal length. I have sequences with the same settings in the same conditions where several shots are correctly stabilized and one is not. Most often cited are shutter speeds in the 1/4 to 1/100 range, though I've seen people report (and I've experienced) the same problem at slightly higher shutter speeds. To me, this is an indictment of the IS system itself: it's not correcting (or overcorrecting) certain motions under certain conditions."

So you think Thom Hogan knows what he's talking about, do you? After reading his description of the five axes IBIS in that review, I wouldn't be so sure. It's about the worst slip-up I have seen in a  long time (and not the only one in the review, though the others are more minor). Here's what he has to say:

"One of the big claims to fame on the E-M5 is the so-called five axis image stabilization, done at the image sensor. The first time I saw that marketing claim I thought perhaps the Olympus engineers had solved String Theory. The "strings" in that theory can exist in ten dimensions, after all (some versions of string theory require 26 dimensions).

Apparently a thesaurus isn't a common desktop tool in Japan. What Olympus means is that the sensor-based stabilization of the E-M5 uses five different sensor motions to compensate for camera movement. Those motions would move the sensor up/down, left/right, tilt it up/down, swivel it left/right, and rotate it."

Tilt the sensor up/down? Swivel the sensor left/right? I am sorry, but Thom manages to get it all completely mixed up. The five axes refers to the five types of camera motion/shake, the system is able to correct -- pitch, yaw, roll, vertical shift, and horizontal shift -- not to the ways in which the sensor moves. To correct these five types of camera movement, the sensor needs to move in three ways only: up-down, left-right, and rotation about the optical axis.

As to the paragraph you quote above, it's just a speculation and not a very well informed one. I have seen no evidence whatsoever in my own quite extensive testing that the IBIS system actually causes blur or even that it seriously compounds the shutter shock. It doesn't manage to do much to correct the shock, but that's another story.

Anders W's gear list:Anders W's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +28 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MT
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow