Not A Fan of Viewfinders. Am I crazy?

Started Jan 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 24,153
Re: It's possible

sigala1 wrote:

KyleSlamchez wrote:

Okay, I've definitely noticed in reading camera reviews and forums that a lot of you love your viewfinders, particularly of the optical type.
Now maybe I'm a young whippersnapper who basically got started on a digital point and shoot that couldn't be bothered to have a viewfinder (a Canon S30), but I like composing with a screen. I don't see what the problem is.
Furthermore, I have a Pentax K20D with an optical viewfinder, and I suck at composing with it. I don't feel like I can see the entire scene, so even a simple photo of a room tends to come out crooked. Not only that, but because I wear glasses, I don't feel like I can get the thing comfortably up to my eye. My nose ends up mashed up against the LCD screen, one eye squinting, and it's just no fun at all.
Therefore, I prefer to use a camera with a Liveview LCD screen, because as far as composition is concerned, what you see is what you get. And I get to use it with both eyes open!
Now I understand that many screens can get washed out in bright sunlight. As far as I can tell, this is the only disadvantage. Is there something I'm missing here?
I feel like I might be out to get hammered by some old pro's, but what the heck. Bring on the hammer!

It's possible that optical viewfinders are a solution to a problem that's now solved better with LCDs. But old fogies don't get it.

Nope, LCDs are still not a substitute for quick-moving subjects - especially with long telephoto lenses.  No "old fogie" here either.

Mark

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow