Anyone understands the point of Nikon's Auto ISO logic on D600?

Started Jan 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
OP OutOfFocus student Forum Member • Posts: 76
Re: Anyone understands the point of Nikon's Auto ISO logic on D600?

kiirokurisu wrote:

OutOfFocus student wrote:

Good for you! I wonder if you could explain why do you love it (unless your love is unconditional and unrelated to usability)

In this case your argument of usability falls down. The usability is reduced in your particular use case, but other use cases are improved. This is the kind of choice designers make in every aspect of software and hardware design. If you don't like the way the device functions, there are other manufacturers who will be glad of your custom.

All you said is "yours is bad, mine is good and that's how it was designed". These are all empty words. Do you switch between manual and auto ISO often? When exactly do you want to make sure you have a minimum ISO speed and why? The only use for minimum ISO I can imagine is to make sure that the shutter speed is always high ... but there is already a min shutter setting so that's both redundant and perverse way to control shutter.

BTW, dpreview appears to have the same view as me of what is the sensible way to use AutoISO. Here is a quote from their review of D600:

"Be aware though that the camera will use the currently-set ISO sensitivity as its minimum value, so enabling Auto ISO with a value of ISO 100 is, in most cases, the most sensible option"

OutOfFocus student's gear list:OutOfFocus student's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Nikon D600 Sony E 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow