Mirror lens

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Discussions thread
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
fredrbis Forum Member • Posts: 62
Mirror lens

I am hoping someone here can explain why the major camera manufacturers no longer offer mirror lens telephotos. The technology is compact due to the folded light path; it is very light weight in comparison to the refractive glass; and the physics is sound enough for the Hubble. Filtering and aperture control, although less simple than in a refractive lens, can be managed near the focal plane, I would think a great 600 mm lens could be made to sell for less than $1000 - but I see no sign of efforts in this direction, nor, more interestingly, of demand for this. Thirty five years ago I bought the Canon EF 500mm mirror lens for my first travel to Africa and it did a better than decent job.

Consequently I have to believe I am not understanding a physical limitation applicable to digital photography. If you have a feeling for why we don't see these lenses any more (except in the Opteka or Vivtar level), please share what you think. Thanks.

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow