Image resolution

Started Jan 28, 2013 | Questions thread
BAK Forum Pro • Posts: 23,658
Not stupid at all

First, don't even think about this being a stupid question. It drives everyone nuts, until they get theri heads around it.

Re > I have jpegs from my photographer @ 300 ppi.. <

This probably is not true.

What you do have is images 2000 pixels by 3000 pixels.

PPI only gets involved when the image moves from being a computer file to being reproduced so you can see it.

When you reproduce the image on paper, following the printing company's request for 300ppi, that 2000 x 3000 pixel image becomes 6.7 inches x 10 inches. (that's 6.7 inches x 300 pixels per inch = 2000 pixels) And 3000 / 300 = 10 inches.

If you took the same 2000 x 3000 pixel original and reproduced it at 240 pixels per inch (ppi) the image would print at 8.3 inches x 12.5 inches.

I have not used modern versions of InDesign. I prepare photos for printing by using Adobe Photoshop Elements.

It has a dialogue box that allows you to type in a resolution whitch will tell you how big the image will be, ONCE YOU REPRODUCE IT somehow or other.

Default is 72 ppi, and you'll see an indication on your image saying what you see is 12% or 25% or 50%, and less and less of the image will appear on your monitor, and more and more will be (in your imagination) extending off the sides and top and bottom.

And there will be some indication that your image is, say 20 inches by 30 inches.

When you prepare the files for InDesign you set the size for 300 ppi  which does not change the actual file, but lets you see how much of the image would be visible, say, if you put it into a four inch wide hole. If there were 300 ppi, and the hole was four inches, you'd see 1200 pixels worth of the original 3000, meaning lots of the picture would be cut off.

And that brings you to resizing and cropping, and other complicated things.

QUESTION: there are a lot of photobook and album companies that offer sotware that is easier to use than InDesign. HAve you tried them?:

ANSWER: About moving files around. what matters is how many pixels are in your image. Monitors use fewer pixels per inch than printing machines, so an image that looks good on a monitor will not print as well. But it gets complicated becaue software does all kinds of automated resizings.

This probably just confused you more. Sometimes, just do as the instructions say, and do not try to understand.

BAK

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow