Not A Fan of Viewfinders. Am I crazy?

Started Jan 26, 2013 | Discussions thread
Mark B. Forum Pro • Posts: 25,603
Re: Not A Fan of Viewfinders. Am I crazy?

KyleSlamchez wrote:

Okay, I've definitely noticed in reading camera reviews and forums that a lot of you love your viewfinders, particularly of the optical type.
Now maybe I'm a young whippersnapper who basically got started on a digital point and shoot that couldn't be bothered to have a viewfinder (a Canon S30), but I like composing with a screen. I don't see what the problem is.

Try tracking a jet an air show, flying bird, race car at the track, or any other number of moving objects with a long lens with an LCD.  The refresh rate isn't fast enough, and you'll have an incredibly difficult time keeping the camera steady while tracking.  With the camera up against your face it further stabilizes it, and the optical VF can track in real time.

Furthermore, I have a Pentax K20D with an optical viewfinder, and I suck at composing with it. I don't feel like I can see the entire scene,

Bummer.  My 7D VF captures 100% of the scene.

so even a simple photo of a room tends to come out crooked. Not only that, but because I wear glasses, I don't feel like I can get the thing comfortably up to my eye. My nose ends up mashed up against the LCD screen, one eye squinting, and it's just no fun at all.

I wear eyeglasses as well, but I use a HoodEYE, works great.

Therefore, I prefer to use a camera with a Liveview LCD screen, because as far as composition is concerned, what you see is what you get. And I get to use it with both eyes open!

I get exactly what I see through the VF, and I keep both eyes open as well.

Now I understand that many screens can get washed out in bright sunlight. As far as I can tell, this is the only disadvantage. Is there something I'm missing here?

That's a pretty big disadvantage unless you shoot indoors with short lenses and/or mounted on a tripod all the time.  Not real time and very unstable with long lenses are both disadvantages for me.

|I feel like I might be out to get hammered by some old pro's, but what the heck. Bring on the hammer!

Use whatever works for you.  My 7D has liveview available, but I rarely use it - pretty much only if mounted on a tripod and I'm shooting a stationary scene.

Mark

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow